Sunday 11 September 2011

Preliminary: Evaluation with screen grabs of required components

Discuss how your group came up with the idea for the script. How efficient was the discussion? What key decisions were made? Embed your script.

In order to produce a script we firstly did a brain storm of all the different types of ideas the preliminary task could consist. We then came to an agreement of what ideas we all thought was most suitable. However, we had a specific structure that we had to follow, for example, the clip had to include a conversation, and in terms of camera shots, it had to contain: match on action - continuity, shot, reverse shot and someone crossing the room. Furthermore, having identified what the story of this task would be, we decided to produce the script and then a story board, displaying what each camera angle would look like. 


Having produced my preliminary task I strongly believe I have gained a deeper understanding in terms of camera shots for example, I now know what 'tracking' means.and I understand its importance for example, it enables the audience to be in the characters perspective. Moreover, everyone contributed by giving ideas for the script for example, 

I came up with the idea that Mathura should say "that is geerthy". The behind this was because I wanted to introduce the characters from Mathuras perspective. Producing the script was very easy as we had our main key idea that focused on two girl arguing. If i had to re-do the script again, It would include a longer conversation at the beginning. I felt that the conversation for the script at the beginning had been rushed and as a result did not start of grasping the audience attention. Some of the key decision that we made was that we would focus on two girls arguing. At the beginning we found it hard to choose a specific idea, however, we then chose the idea that we felt was best fit for this criteria and as a result of working in a girl group we believed that two girls arguing was the best idea to choose. The script was written slightly quick but we had to cut some idea's down as it did not always make sense.

Coming up with the story board was very straight forward as we had our script ready. We had to adjust the script to our storyboard. The story board enabled me to understand how to take the camera shots during what each character says. I found that the script enabled me to find the right camera shots for the story board. The image on the bottom portrays my story board. It shows how the story takes place from one shot to another. If i had to redo my storyboard one thing i would change is make the story board image more clearer. This would enable me to not have any misunderstandings of the images. In conlcusion i beleive that drawing a story board was very effective because it made me understand my story more,know what camera shots to take, when and where.

The shooting was not running smoothly. I bleieve that one of the hardest task for this preliminary task was the shooting. Although we had a story board and script the storyboard images was very hard to see as it was extremly messy. Moreover, one of the tricky shooting we did was tracking. I believe that tracking was tricky because firstly Mathura had to take a low angle shot behind me whilst i was walking. The camera for this shot was very shaking. Therefore, i beleive if i had to do shoots again one thing i would take into consideration is use a tripod. this will reduce the amount the camera is shaking.

The key elements from the brief:
Have a conversation: This was planned without enough thought therefore, the conversation ended up being very quick. If I could do this exercise again I would spend more time on planning a good conversation.
Match on action: I believe my group handled the match on action very well because we showed it through the use of our camera skills, however if we were to do this task again I would make sure the camera was not constantly shaking.
Continuity: This shots were done when the girl walked through the corridle, I believe I edited these shots well which made them flow efficently therefore, I was very pleased because it enabled my video to make sense and not jump from one shot to another which I had done previously. One of the shots we used was tracking,this enabled to position the audience in the characters shoes.
Reverse shot: I believe my reverse shot was very good, the reason behind is because of the technique we used; over the shoulder shot. This enabled our reverse shot to work effectively when the camera went from one person to another. However, during this shots I made a lot of mistakes for example, the first shot was taken from a low angle, therefore we decided to change it to and use our skills to make it more suitable and realistic.

During the course of this production I learnt a range of things for example, I learnt the significant of continuity. I realized having continuity helps makes the video make sense and prevents the audience from getting confused on whats happening in the video. Moreover, I learnt how to create a match on action shot. I also, learnt how to add effects on Final cut (when Theeba is in the mirror) This grabs the audience attention as it's something unusual. Furthermore I learnt how to edit shots to make them flow, which made my audience understand what is happening in the video. If i had to do this task again one thing i would want to learn more about is effects. I believe that i did not broaden any skills on effects therefore, the preliminary task is not as interesting. Furthermore, i would also improve my understanding and knowledge of Final Cut Express. I believe that i learnt how to edit some shots but i did not do anything extra ordinary for example, add some music. Therefore, i hope to be able to achieve this by the end of AS media studies.


The images below is a screen grab of the required criteria and represents the program I have used and evidence about what i learnt. Also, it shows my understanding and knowledge.














Match on action

Conversation
Reverse shot

No comments:

Post a Comment