Wednesday 28 December 2011

Construction: How do I know that "Rewind" is a Horror movie and not a thriller movie? and interim

As you can see, "Rewind" has become a horror movie. In order for me to establish this, I had to do research on horror movies.

As a result, my research enabled me to identify why "Rewind" is a horror movie. Down below is a list of horror conventions that "Rewind" establish.

Camera shots/editing:

Fast editing during shock - At this point the audience feel very confused, the tension is built as the enigma's set in place and the audience at this point are very focused.
Slow and long cut when tension is built - for example when the female character picks up the image, the shot is very slow, however, before that the shots are very fast, this builds tension as the audience are able to see the importance of the image.
Long shots to emphasis vulnerability of protagonist
Close up of threaten face - This makes the audience feel sympathy towards the female character
Panning shot to build tension - In "Rewind" there is a victim who sitting on a chair, she then turns round, at this point the antagonist, (killer) has approaching however, a panning shot takes place so that the audience are in the perspective of the victim. At this point the audience are very engaged as they want to know whether the victim will see the antagonist, and if the victim doesn't see her, the audience know that the antagonist will still kill her. Therefore, at this point tension is built to be very high.

Now I will talk about the mise- en scene for horror movies and how it relates to "Rewind"


Mise-en- scene:

Dark, mysterious costumes for the antagonist or threat - In "Rewind" the character is wearing black, this emphasizes on the fact that she is a killer, and that there is death associated with her where ever she goes.For example, in funerals people wear "black" when somebody dies. Therefore, the same way, the character is wearing black to represent death.
Ominous setting in this case a house

Sound:

Silence is used to build tension - At the beginning of rewind, tension is raised through silence, which can also build an enigma for the audiences; also at this point the audience attention is grabbed because they want to know what happens next.
Music is used to slowly increase anxiety in audience - when the female character puts the image back down a "music box" is playing.
Loud sudden beats to shock the audience - when there is constant flashing shots, loud noises suddenly play, this shocks the audiences and makes them feel even more scared.
Diagetic sound - this takes place when the female character looks at the body. At this point the audience feel scared and are shocked to know what they see, moreover they are positioned in the victims view therefore feel sympathetic towards her.

To conclude, by establishing the conventions of a Horror movie, I felt that "Rewind" more likely fits in under the genre: "Horror". However, just to make sure I decided to watch a few horror movies, these consist of "Saw", "The ring", "the grudge" "butterfly effect" and "The howling". One this each movie had equivalent was the use of flashing shots. Each movie represented shots flashing or a flash back. Moreover, "Rewind" constantly has flash backs and flashing shots which builds tension, as the audience attention at this point is very focused.

Having done some shots with my group I decided to work individually by exploring and experimenting. The reason behind this was because with the shots that we produced, whilst having a look at them in school I was not very fond and happy with them. Therefore, I wanted to shoot better footage however, my group refused and that is why I thought working on my own would be much better. I feel by working individually I was able to achieve many things, for example, I explored how to create effects on my footage by editing them. Moreover, this enabled me to understand how important effects are for example, by using effects it grabs the audience attention. Furthermore, I can now create credits by adding effects on them using a program called "Live type". At the beginning when doing my Juno video I was unaware of this program and was clueless on how it functions however, now I feel very confident to use it, therefore, can create a lot of credits using different effects. Moreover, I learnt that instead of having a range of different effects for the credits, it is better to keep the effect consistent. Also, I strongly believed I used my camera angles and shots wisely for example, when the female character picks up the image, there shot is a close up of the image. This puts the audience in the female position and signifies the significance of it. Therefore, I believe I learnt how camera angles and shots can make the audience feel a particular way about the atmosphere, location, prompts, costumes and characters.


Down below is a list of all my achievement along this process:


1. Expanding my skills on "Final Cut Express"
2. Using a range of camera angles
3. Broadening my skills on editing
4. Understanding the importance of credits
5. Expanding my skills on "Live type" when creating the credits
6. Understanding mise en scene and using it wisely in my video
7. Combing shots together
8. The importance of sound and why thriller opening usually have non-diegetic sound
9. How to identify my target audience
10. The importance of planning
11. Importance of research
12. Conducing research
13. Conducting Planning
14. How evaluating and analyzing other thrillers can help me make my thriller video
15. Understanding of equipment and how to use it
16. understanding and a better knowledge of horror conventions

No comments:

Post a Comment